Ability to focus completely on what the client is saying and is not saying, to understand the meaning of what is said in the context of the client's desires, and to support client self-expression.
- Attends to the client and the client's agenda and not to the coach's agenda for the client.
- Hears the client's concerns, goals, values and beliefs about what is and is not possible.
- Distinguishes between the words, the tone of voice, and the body language.
- Summarizes, paraphrases, reiterates, and mirrors back what client has said to ensure clarity and understanding.
- Encourages, accepts, explores and reinforces the client's expression of feelings, perceptions, concerns, beliefs, suggestions, etc.
- Integrates and builds on client's ideas and suggestions.
- "Bottom-lines" or understands the essence of the client's communication and helps the client get there rather than engaging in long, descriptive stories.
- Allows the client to vent or "clear" the situation without judgment or attachment in order to move on to next steps.